20 December 2013 – Bus crash, Kennington Road

Kennington bus crash

20 December 2013

We were called at 10.50am to reports of a road traffic collision involving a bus and tree at the junction of Kennington Road and Lollard Street, SE11.

A number of staff were sent to the scene including seven ambulance crews, three single responders in cars, five duty officers, London’s Air Ambulance and our hazardous area response team.

We treated 32 patients in total, who were taken to three London hospitals – St George’s Hospital, King’s College Hospital and St Thomas’ Hospital.

Twenty-five were walking wounded with cuts and bruises. Five suffered more serious injuries, such as head and leg injuries.

Two further patients – a man and a woman who were trapped in the bus – suffered serious leg injuries.

Duty Station Officer Lee Hyett-Powell said: “There were a large number of patients for our staff to care for but all of the emergency services worked well together to ensure that they were assessed and treated as quickly as possible.

“We worked with the fire brigade to get to the two patients who were trapped on the upper deck. They had suffered the most serious injuries and were trapped on the bus for around two hours. We treated and stabilised them while they were being released before taking them to hospital.”


Bus crash in Kennington

20 December 2013

Firefighters were called to deal with a double decker bus that had collided with a tree on Kennington Road in Kennington this morning.

Station Manager Clive Robinson, who was at the scene, said:

“This was a particularly nasty crash and our crews worked extremely hard in very challenging circumstances to get the passengers off the bus. We used ladders to get some of the people out and in the case of the final two passengers trapped on the top deck crews had to shore up the upper floor which had started to collapse before using specialist cutting gear to release them. The man and woman were then lowered to the ground on a stretcher by firefighters on a turntable ladder.”

A total of 32 people were injured and taken to hospital.

Four fire engines from Soho, Westminster, and Lambeth fire stations attended the crash along with two fire rescue nits from Battersea and Chelsea. London Ambulance Service, the air ambulance, and the Metropolitan police were also at the scene.

The Brigade was called at 1052 and the incident was over by 1350.






This entry was posted in London Incidents. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s